[vtkusers] Compiling VTK on LINUX

Kalpana Kanthasamy kalpana0611 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 06:20:45 EDT 2007

Hi guys

I managed to compile VTK on windows using tcl and java. I am trying it on
Linux, and I am a beginner in linux so shifting from windows to linux is
really very challenging for me rite now, but I have to submit the project
running on linux. Anyway coming back to my question, how do I install Cmake
on linux, I went through several articles on the net, but I keep getting
errors. This is what I have done so far,

a) I unzipped the VTK file into directory named VTK, the files are there
b) I unzipped the Cmake file into directory named cmakelinux, the folders
that exist are "bin", 'doc", "man" and "share"
c) I found this article to install

There are several possible approaches for building CMake from a source tree:

a) If there is no existing CMake installation, a bootstrap script is
provided:

    ./bootstrap
    make
    make install

(Note: the make install step is optional, cmake will run from the build
directory.)

b) An existing CMake installation can be used to build a new version:

    cmake .
    make
    make install

(Note: the make install step is optional, cmake will run from the build
directory.)

I used the (a) version but  I keep getting  "-bash: ./bootstrap: No such
file or directory",
and when I used the (b) version "-bash: cmake: command not found" - I have
tried running it from cmakelinux/bin and cmakelinux, and some errors said
that the makefile file cant be found, where can I get this.

I have set the path using this command, "export
PATH=/path/to/cmakelinux/bin:$PATH".
Could someone assist me, I really need help