[vtkusers] Tutorial for newbies for installing VTK on Intel Mac

Romy Schneider romy at tacc.utexas.edu
Mon Sep 25 11:03:51 EDT 2006

FYI about tcl/tk on Mac.  Default install of tcl/tk on MacBook Pro is
the aqua version (i.e. Cocoa), so if you build VTK with tcl/tk
bindings and X, you have to install a separate tcl/tk version for
X11.  I know this is possible with a source build, but all the
documentation I ever found on the net for tcl/tk was for a native
aqua build (this was a new feature in tcl 8.4).

As Mike suggested, a way around this is to install Paraview, which
has it's own version of VTK and Tcl/Tk. This compile will build an
X11 version of Tcl/Tk and VTK, but compiling Paraview on an intel Mac
has it's own set of issues.  And depending on which Paraview you
install, Tcl/Tk and VTK could be a little out of date.

Romy