[vtkusers] re:Getting a volume's contour vertices

Yixun Liu yxliu at fudan.edu.cn
Sat Sep 23 22:25:05 EDT 2006

Hi,
1.I suggest you use vtkMarchingCubes, which is specialized to volume data.

vtkMarchingCubes is a filter that takes as input a volume (e.g., 3D structured point set) and generates on output one or more isosurfaces. One or more contour values must be specified to generate the isosurfaces. Alternatively, you can specify a min/max scalar range and the number of contours to generate a series of evenly spaced contour values.

2.GetPoints() is the right method, but be sure you have called MarchingFilter->Update() before.

I suggest you firstly render the isosurface using vtk to ensure you get the right surface and then export this surface.

Hope it help.

Yixun Liu