[vtkusers] Determining if a point is inside or outside a closed surface

Dominik Szczerba domi at vision.ee.ethz.ch
Thu Sep 21 06:36:09 EDT 2006

I am not aware of a ready to use vtk method. the fastest way is to build
a list of surface element bounding boxes and - if your surface is closed
- shoot just one ray, locate intersection candidates, and count real
intersections (even/odd = outside/inside). If you implement it be sure
to post it :)
DS

Doug McCorkle wrote:
> Hello,
>      What is the fastest method to determine if a point is inside or
> outside a closed surface? I have tried the celllocator and the obbtree
> but both seem to take a little while. Is there a better method to
> determine the inside/outside calculation? Are the previous two methods
> highly dependent on the configuration parameters? If so is the automatic
> setting pretty good at determining good parameters for a broad range of
> datasets? Thanks for the help.
>
> Doug
>
> Doug McCorkle - Research Assistant
> Iowa State University