[vtkusers] vtkPlaneWidget -> 'bad coordinate system'

Mark Wyszomierski markww at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 09:11:04 EDT 2006

Hi,

I am using vtkCaptionActor2D to annotate some points in a 3D
rendering. There is no backing to the caption text itself, so you can
'see through' the caption.

I stuck a vtkPlaneSource behind the caption rectangle so it's easier
to see the text. I used a vtkActor2D with the plane soure, and am
moving the plane about with:

    vtkPlaneSource::SetOrigin();
    vtkPlaneSource::SetPosition1();
    vtkPlaneSource::SetPosition2();

so that it stays aligned with the text caption.

I get a bad coordinate system debug error because sometimes when
making the 3 calls above, the origin point may be moving to the exact
location where position 1 used to be - but internally in each of the
functions the plane recomputes its normals and stuff, so before I get
a chance to move pos1,  the updated normals throw the error.

Is there anyway to block updating the normals etc until ALL three
calls are made into the final position I want?

Thanks,
Mark