[vtkusers] Problem with cursoring in vtkImagePlaneWidget

Peter Kok peter.kok at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 16:17:58 EDT 2006

Hi there,

I have a problem when I try to use the cursor in the vtkImagePlaneWidget. I
have three imagePlaneWidgets, with the orientation to the x, y and z-axis.
When I want to use the cursor in one of the planes, the plane seems to need
some kind of focus for the cursor to work as desired. That is, I first need
to select a plane by moving it slightly using the middle mouse button. When
I then use the cursor, it works well, but only on that plane. If a plane
doesn't have the focus, the cursor doesn't work, the displayed text is "Off
image" and the edge turns to green.

The code I use to set up the image planes is not extremely exciting:

planeWidgetX = vtkImagePlaneWidget::New();

planeWidgetX->DisplayTextOn();

planeWidgetX->SetInput(checkers->GetOutput());

planeWidgetX->SetPlaneOrientationToXAxes();

planeWidgetX->SetSliceIndex((wholeExtent[0] + wholeExtent[1]) / 2);

planeWidgetX->SetPicker(cellPicker);

planeWidgetX->SetKeyPressActivationValue('x');

planeWidgetX->GetPlaneProperty()->SetColor(1, 0, 0);

planeWidgetX->SetWindowLevel(256, 128);

planeWidgetX->GetColorMap()->PassAlphaToOutputOff();

planeWidgetX->SetInteractor(iren);

planeWidgetX->On();

With similar code for the y- and z-plane. Does anyone have an idea of what
the problem (and preferably also the solution) might be?

Thanks,

-Peter