[vtkusers] creating a solid object from 3D points

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Mon Sep 11 10:46:36 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 14:24 +0100, Clare Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a set of x,y,z points which i want to convert to a solid
> object.
> I am reading them into vtk using vtkParticleReader:

<snip>

> The points in my .txt file are in a random order. Is it possible to
> create a solid object (the shape you'd get if you shrink-wrapped
> something around all the points) directly from these points, or do i
> have to arrange them into a particlar order so that i can use
> vtkDelaunay2D or vtkCellArray and vtkPolyData to create the surface?
>
> Thanks
>
> Clare

Do your points fill the interior of the object or are they just around
the edge?

Your use of "solid object" and "shrink-wrapped" makes that not clear.
You may want to look at vtkImplicitModeller, vtkGaussianSplatter, and
vtkShepardMethod which all make images out of clouds of points. The
images can then be used to make surfaces.