[vtkusers] Z-Order of vtkRenderer,vtkImageActor,vtkTextActor

Thomas Lambertz thomas at hexerei-software.de
Fri Sep 1 21:06:57 EDT 2006

Hi there,

i have a problem with providing some text-information for dicom-slices.

Each slice is represented by a vtkImageActor and a vtkRenderer. All
vtkRenderers are arranged like a chessboard using their SetViewport()
method. There is no overlapping and all went fine.

I thought i could add some text-information by adding another
vtkRenderer with a vtkTextActor. This renderer could use the hole
RenderWindow - (SetViewport(0.0,0.0,1.0,1.0)). But whatever order of
RenderWindow->AddRenderer() i choose - the text is never visible. By
omitting the slice-renderer i see the text - so the TextActor/Renderer
seemes to work (and is only hidden behind them ?).
But:
By adding the TextActor to each sliceRenderer the text is visible. But
that´s not a real solution as all sliceRenderer are restricted by their
viewport-settings - and i dont want to add the TextActor to all of them
only to see the hole text.

It looks to me as i am struggling with the z-order of these renderers.
The order of adding the renderer seemes not to solve my problem.
What am i doing wrong ? Can i set an z-order by hand ? Should i use
another classes for my problem ?

Any suggestions are very appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Tom