[vtkusers] How to - Installing VTK on Apple OS 10.4.8 Mac Book Pro for the purposes of Cocoa

Ryan Glover prionscientific at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 12:04:51 EST 2006

Hello Sean, Mike and VTK forum users ,

Yes, you may include the document with the simpleCocoaVTK download.
That would be best for new users.

My apologies to you Sean and to Mike for attributing Mike to Rogue
Research.  I have made the edit in my local copy of the document.

I have played around with ccmake and it is quite easy to use.
However, I thought it was easier to explain the simple edits to a text
file as opposed to explaining how the ccmake program operates.  When I
revise this document I will consider writing an expanded description
of ccmake.

With regards to CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX.  I tried to touch as few flags
during the install as possible since I am quite inexperienced.
Looking at my CMakeCache.txt my CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX is set to
/usr/local.  VTK did not put all the headers in a single location when
I installed.  This could be because /usr/local is a protected
directory.  If I reinstall I will try modifying the directory so that
it is within my home folder.  If it compiles all the headers as you
say it does, that would be a much easier install then working with the
shell script, which I think is the most confusing part of the process
for new users.

Thank you for your comments.

Many thanks and best regards,
Ryan Glover