[vtkusers] Making a very informative view of the brain

Prename Surname bsd.diverse at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 07:01:28 EST 2006

Hello.
I have MR-images of the brain, where i want to visualize certian structures
that lies deep in the brain.
I have intensity images and i have a mask where my structures are marked. I
have found out more or less how to make a volumetric view of the data in
VTK. The problem is that this is not so informative, so what i really want
to make is something like this:
http://coachkontakt.dk/heartview.jpg
which is a MR-image of the heart, where a certain region is painted red and
kept in a volumetric form, whereas
the rest of the heart is only visibile in these crossing planes.
This gives a very good impression of position, surroundings and shape of the
structure, which i really need for my data as well.
So I was wondering if a such view could be made in VTK, and if yes what is
it called and where can i find an example?
I have been looking around and found that a vtkImagePlaneWidget is almost
what i need.
The problem however is that as i have seen, it is not possible to draw
volumetric strutures in this widget, which is really important for me. But
maybe I am wrong. Is it actually possible to create a visualization like
this http://coachkontakt.dk/heartview.jpg in VTK?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Many regards