[vtkusers] plot 3d points

Marty Humperdink martyh_camel93 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 22 16:16:27 EDT 2006

I have several long lists of x,y,z coordinates that I
would like to plot in an efficient manner. After
searching the terms 'plot 3d points' in the mailing
list archive I came up with some suggestions and
implemented one using vtkGlyph3d and vtkSphereSource.
Its very slow, though, and can crash with too many
points (>2000).

I'm looking for a way to plot this x,y,z coordinate
data quickly. I can do what I want in Matlab/Octave
using the command:

plot3(ptsX,ptsY,ptsZ,'b.')

where ptsX, ptsY, and ptsZ are the coordinates 'b.'
indicates that I want a small blue dot as the point
marker.

Can someone please make a suggestion? I realize that
this is a rudimentary question and I'm having trouble
probably because I don't fully understand VTK data
representation but would very much appreciate someone
pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks
Marty