[vtkusers] Why ITK re-implements VTK?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Oct 22 10:49:26 EDT 2006

Hi Ali,

Yes, there is some duplication of code between ITK and VTK.

As you pointed out this is the consequence of maintaining both
toolkits independent of each other.

There is also a lot of code in ITK that was taken from VTK
mostly because the data pipeline architecture of ITK was
inherited from the VTK design.

However, there shouldn't be any confusion when using both
toolkits together. ITK classes uses the "itk" namespace,
and vtk uses the "vtk" prefix. So, all class names are
independent.

The case of the Import filters is probably the one that
should produce the less confusion of all. In one case you
import a buffer to a vtkImageData, in the other case you
import a buffer to an itkImage class.

There is nothing superior or inferior in each filter,
they are doing different things and therefore they are
not comparable.

    Regards,

       Luis