[vtkusers] Re: Qt with VTK error-MSVCP80.dll not found

Goodwin Lawlor goodwin.lawlor at ucd.ie
Thu Oct 12 09:15:32 EDT 2006

Ashish Singh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to use Qt to develop a GUI for my VTK application, so I recently
> installed Qt 4.1.4 on my workstation and reinstalled VTK with the vtkgui
> support and qvtk 'ON'. When I tried examples(ImageViewer and Events)
> from the directory ..VTK/Examples/GUI/Qt, I get the following pop up error.
>
> 'This application has failed to start because MSVCP80.dll was not found.
> Re-installing the application may fix this problem. '
>
> The examples compile and build fine, but when I run them( when I run the
> executable), I get the above error.
> Can anyone please tell me what is going wrong here? I am working with Qt
> 4.1.4 and VTK 5.0.2 on windows XP platform.
>
> Thanks,
> Ashish

Hi Ashish,

Handling the new crt dlls can be very tricky... I circumvent them by
statically compiling them into my projects.

In cmake, everywhere you see "/MD" or "/MDd" change it to "/MT" or "/MTd".

Within Visual C++, go to the project properties page, click
"Configuration Properties", then "C/C++", then "Code Generation". In the
table on the right pane, change the "Runtime Library" to "Multi-threaded
(/MT)" or "Multi-threaded (/MTd)" if your building a debug version.

You wont have to worry if other windows machines have the new
MSVCP80.dll etc. files when distributing your app.

hth

Goodwin