[vtkusers] Hardware acceleration?

Harry Simons simonsharry at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 05:13:48 EDT 2006

Hello,

I have a few quick questions on the hardware acceleration aspects of VTK.

1. First off, what all 2D / 3D hardware-accelerated algorithms does VTK
provide?

2. Do you have to enable hardware acceleration manually (at compile time?
run-time?) or, does it get 'turned on' automatically on first use?

3. Is hardware acceleration available only for specific boards / graphics
cards?  The OsiriX folks, for example, provide a version their app for
VolumePro boards!  I'm wondering whether such a support would typically be
added on top of (ie, outside) VTK, or by configuring (or, tweaking the
source code of) VTK itself.

Don't fully understand the specifics of the division of labor between h/w
and s/w, so don't also know how much of the hardware portion of VTK can be
acomplished in a hardware-independent manner!

Basically, I need to know all this to be able to select the right hardware
for my application... one that will allow VTK to run optimally fast.

Regards,
Harry