[vtkusers] Re: Install vtk 5 from source on redhat with python 2.5

Fabian Braennstroem f.braennstroem at gmx.de
Wed Nov 29 13:41:15 EST 2006

Hi Fred,

* fred <fredmfp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Fabian Braennstroem wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I would like to install vtk 5.0 on a scientific linux
>>machine (redhat enterprise) clone. I enabled python and set
>>the path to my newly installed python 2.5 in an extra
>>directory:
>>
>> PYTHON_EXECUTABLE                /opt/python-2.5/bin/python2.5
>> PYTHON_EXTRA_LIBS
>> PYTHON_INCLUDE_PATH              /opt/python-2.5/include/python2.5
>> PYTHON_LIBRARY
>> PYTHON_UTIL_LIBRARY              /usr/lib/libutil.so
>>
>>Maybe, one mistake is to leave the library path empty, but setting it to
>>/opt/python-2.5/lib/python2.5 did not work; I got:
>>

> You have to set the python lib, not its directory.
>
> Try /opt/python-2.5/lib/python2.5/libpython2.5.so

Thanks, but there is not such a file in my working (at least
some gtk and curses programs work) python 2.5 installation:

'locate libpython' gives:

/usr/lib/libpython2.3.so
/usr/lib/libpython2.3.so.1.0
/opt/Python-2.5_source/libpython2.5.a
/opt/Python-2.5_source/Doc/lib/libpython.tex
/opt/python-2.5/lib/python2.5/config/libpython2.5.a

Maybe, it is a python installation problem or just a python
2.5 thing!?

Greetings!
 Fabian