[vtkusers] Finite Element Grid Visulization

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Mon Nov 27 20:53:15 EST 2006

Davood-

There is merit to much of what you propose. Just a couple of notes if
you want to get fancy:

+ VTK has a higher-order framework that you should be aware of
http://www.vtk.org/pdf/AdaptorFramework.pdf. We have used it to
visualize mixed polynomial order cells (the framework supports any cell
that can be uniquely parameterized). It requires you to write an
adapter, which takes some work.(Remember, Kitware is in the business of
consulting/support if this looks too hard to do yourself).
+ Transparency is always an issue; VTK now supports unstructured grid
volume rendering (requires tetrahedrization first). Look at the file
fire_05_11_08.avi in http://paraview.org/files/data/ if you want to see
an absolutely stunning video clip of fire simulation using VTK's
unstructured grid volume rendering. My understanding is that is was
generated on a 120 distributed processor system.

(Kudos to the Sandia Nat'l lab folks who contributed much of this
technology to the VTK community.)

Will