[vtkusers] Parallel Volume Rendering

polittico polittico at libero.it
Wed Nov 22 05:12:12 EST 2006

Hi vtk users,
I have a CT volume  that I would like to visualize in parallel.I am supposed to use MPI using n+1 nodes (n nodes for parallel computing, one node as front end), so that my strategy is as follows :
1) on the front end node partition the volume in n subvolumes, roughly the same size;
2) send using MPI the subvolumes to the n computing nodes (one subvolume per node);
3) let the n computing nodes do in parallel the visualization pipeline (each one on its assigned subvolumes);
4) each one of the n computing nodes sends using MPI its final rendering result to the front end node;
5) the front end node gathers the results from the n computing nodes, places them in its rendering window and shows the image.
So the questions are:
1) How can I read subvolumes from the volume file?
2) It is possible to composite them once rendered handling the right transparency (I'm doing volume rendering..)?
3) How can I use vtkMPIController to do that? I saw the example but no one does volume rendering

Thanks in advance