[vtkusers] Automatic Segmentation

O'Connor, Aonghus A.OConnor at ucc.ie
Mon Nov 20 11:51:23 EST 2006

Hi All,

I'm working with both vtk and itk and I need to segment a 3D dataset
(512*512*100). I've been using itkConnectedThresholdImageFilter to threshold
the data and grow a region from a seed point which works fine for a limited
number of seed points.

I would like to automate the process for the whole dataset so that all
distinct regions are grown (each having its own label) and eliminate the
need for user seed input. (the reason is that I expect there to be a lot of
seed points).

Does anyone know what the fastest method would be.

I've considered selecting every second point to be a seed but I'm sure
theres a better way.

Would a watershed segmentation find all distict regions or would it be too
slow?

Thanks for any help!!!

:->

Aonghus