[vtkusers] how to calculate area of triangle.

Dongqing Chen dqchen at cvip.louisville.edu
Thu Nov 16 00:27:27 EST 2006

Deaer All:

    Now I want to calculate the area of a certain triangle on a triangulated mesh surface. I searched the archives and knew that vtkMassProperties could estimate volume, area, shape index of triangle mesh .

  But it seems that it only provide the area for the entirely closed mesh surface? How can I get the area of a certain triangle given that I know all the three vertices? and moreover, how can I get the area of the neighboring triangles sharing a vertex whose ptID I have already known.

  Any hint is highly appreciated.

Best Wishes,
Dongqing Chen
Ph.D Research Assistant
Rm. 07, Paul C. Lutz Hall
Computer Vision & Image Processing (CVIP) Lab
Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
Speed School of Engineering
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY. 40292
U.S.A