R: [vtkusers] Stereo rendering problem

Valeria Gallo g_luigi at fastwebnet.it
Wed Nov 15 06:02:36 EST 2006

I've tried to enable stereo mode without putting separate images for left
and right eye on each screen, but the problem is that my projectors support
only 800x600 with 60 Hz resolution connected to the card by VGA connector
(analog) and DVI-I connector (digital). I read that I need at least 100-120
Hz to use the CrystalEyes mode in vtk.

Is there a way to use the CrystalEyes technology even with my resources
(Wildcat II 5110 video card - passive stereo glasses - Benq projectors
800x600 with 60 Hz) or I must accept to manage two different windows using

renWin->SetStereoTypeToLeft();

and

      renWin->SetStereoTypeToRight();

on two different windows?

P.S. I've written to the video card manufacturers and they told me that my
Wildcat don't support support the "clone mode".

Thanks

Valeria

  _____

Hi Valeria,

I use VTK with a stereo projection system constantly. Drew' Dolgert's post
is correct, you need to go into the advanced settings for the video driver
and enable stereo. You also need to set the video card in a mode that
simulates the crystal eyes hardware stereo that VTK's stereo function is
designed for. I don't know about Wildcat video cards, but on nVidia Quadro
cards, the mode is called "clone mode". Both projectors will display exactly
the same thing, except the vtk render windows will show left and right eye
views respectively.

Cheers,
Chuck

You are thinking of showing stereo images by putting a separate image on
each screen yourself, but there is a more automatic way to do it. The
Wildcat II 5110 drivers have a setting to enable stereo, at least on Windows
and maybe on Linux. You need to go into the driver control and look deep in
the Advanced section. When you enable stereo in the driver, you also have to
tell VTK to ask OpenGL to display in stereo, and I think you have done the
right settings in VTK for that to work. Both video outputs from the display
adapter will show the same image most of the time, so you can no longer
extend your desktop to on the second display this way.

You have included a call to StereoUpdate, and I'm not sure what
"StereoUpdate" does. It may not be necessary. I haven't done this in a year
or two, and you used to be able to use the regular Render() command once you
enabled stereo in the render window.

Drew

  _____

Hi, I'm a vtk newbe.

I have two Benq projectors and a Wildcat II 5110 graphics card and I would
like to view my 3D model using the stereo mode in VTK.

This is a part of code I've written:

vtkRenderer *renderer = vtkRenderer::New();

vtkRenderWindow *renWin = vtkRenderWindow::New();

renWin->AddRenderer(renderer);

renWin->SetStereoCapableWindow(1);

renWin->StereoRenderOn();

renWin->SetFullScreen(1);

renWin->SetStereoTypeToCrystalEyes();

renWin->StereoUpdate();

There are no errors but I can view the window only in one of the two windows
of the screen (one projector works as extended window).

Probably a solution it will be to use two different render windows, one for
the left eye and one for the right, but I don't know how to put one window
in the first projector and the other window in the second projector.

There is a easy solution for my problem

Thanks in advance

Valeria