[vtkusers] 3D cellular automata

Michael Scarpa m.scarpa at uva.nl
Wed Nov 8 04:24:12 EST 2006

Hi Nicola,

have you tried volume rendering?  Using 3D texture mapping it should
be reasonably fast on a decent graphics chip.  You would need to
convert your data representation, though.  Instead of actors (cubes),
you would have to construct vtkImageData or vtkStructuredPoints.  The
advantage of volume rendering (in general) would be that you van
easily set the color of certain values to a defined opacity and
therefore you can see "inside" the data.  Check the examples that
come with VTK to see what volume rendering might do for you.  Of
course, you can also do a lot of other nifty things once you have
your data as vtkImageData, like isosurfacing, but you'll have to see
if that would make sense with your data.  I can imagine that seeing a
"cloud-like" surface showing areas of automata with certain features
evolve over time might be insightful, but then again, I do have a lot
of imagination ;-)  Hope that helps and please let me know if it
does, I would be curious.

With kind regards,

Michael