[vtkusers] Problem compiling InsightApplications agains VTK 5.1 (cvs)

Obada Mahdi omahdi at gmx.de
Mon Nov 6 18:37:26 EST 2006

Hi Kent,

just a hunch, but might be a possible reason:

On 11/6/06, Kent Williams <kent at psychiatry.uiowa.edu> wrote:
[linker error, unresolved symbol]
> Then I looked at the CMakeLists.txt file in VTK/Rendering, with the
> intention of making Rendering depend on Graphics, but VTK seems to have
> it's own dialect of CMake that means there's no obvious place to force
> the dependency.
>
> This is with Insight CVS, InsightApplications CVS, VTK 5.1 (CVS).
> System: RHEL Linux, gcc 4.1.0 ...

There is a known inconsistency in the installation procedure for VTK
CVS that causes some .cmake files to be installed in the wrong
location:
http://www.vtk.org/Bug/bug.php?op=show&bugid=3953&pos=14

One of those files is "VTKLibraryDepends.cmake", which contains
information about library dependencies.  This can be fixed manually by
moving

<install-prefix>/include/vtk-5.1/UseVTK.cmake
<install-prefix>/include/vtk-5.1/VTKLibraryDepends.cmake
<install-prefix>/lib/vtk-5.1/

and

<install-prefix>/include/vtk-5.1/vtkMakeInstantiator.*
<install-prefix>/lib/vtk-5.1/CMake/

Normally this would already cause problems in CMake while configuring
a project using VTK, but if you are re-using an installation location
containing an older VTK build, chances are that old .cmake files are
being used, and there is no obvious error message.

Regards

Obada