[vtkusers] Problem with delaunay surface when extracting curvatures

Manuel Ricardo Galindo Moreno mrgalindo at puj.edu.co
Thu Nov 2 18:00:07 EST 2006

Hello everyone

I have had some problems extracting the principal curvatures of my surface.

I first created an unstructured grid from a point cloud (initially a torus) using delaunay3d. To use vtkcurvature i use vtkgeometryfilter to obtain a vtkpolydata from an unstructured grid.

The problem is that when i set an alpha value different to 0, so the center of the torus is clear*, the values of maximum and minimum curvature are erratic (it does not match with theoretical vales...at all), although the shape of the torus looks fine when visualized.

When i set and alpha=0 in delaunay3d, the erratic behavior of the curvatures is gone, their vaules match with the theoretical ones, though i can't get a clear center of the torus*, so the visualization is not correct.

i've been trying to smooth the surface with no luck.

I've been stuck for a while with this problem, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, bye

*when the center of the torus is not clear, there are two planes(circles) that connect each point around the upper and lower part of the torus. Meaning that the sizes of the polygons are not restricted by the alpha value.