[vtkusers] Problems with VS 2005 and VTK (vtkrendering.lib)

mam06bhv at studserv.uni-leipzig.de mam06bhv at studserv.uni-leipzig.de
Wed Nov 1 15:23:41 EST 2006

Obada Mahdi schrieb:
> Hi Markus!
>
> On 11/1/06, mam06bhv <mam06bhv at studserv.uni-leipzig.de> wrote:
>> I've solved the problem but now I got these errors in the VTK-window
>
> Just for the record, what was the solution?  It might be helpful to
> others who search the mailing list and find themselves having a
> similar problem.
>
>> ERROR: In ..\..\VTK\Rendering\vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 824
>> vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow (01970FD0): wglCreateContext failed in
>> CreateAWindow(), error: 1114
>>
>> ERROR: In ..\..\VTK\Rendering\vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 824
>> vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow (01970FD0): wglCreateContext failed in
>> CreateAWindow(), error: 0
>>
>> ERROR: In ..\..\VTK\Rendering\vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 824
>> vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow (01970FD0): wglCreateContext failed in
>> CreateAWindow(), error: 6
>
> I did a quick search in the mailing list archives for similar error
> messages and found a reply from Mathieu Malaterre:
> http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2004-January/071401.html
>
> Some other postings did not have replies or solutions, but it seems
> that the problem is related to OpenGL drivers/libraries rather than
> VTK.  One suggestion for narrowing down the problem is to run other
> OpenGL applications and see if they work.  For example, start by
> building VTK with "BUILD_EXAMPLES" set to "ON" and run one of the
> examples, like "Cone".  If it does not work, try other, non-VTK
> programs that use OpenGL, and if they do not work either, it is very
> likely a problem with your graphics card/OpenGL driver.
>
> I also agree with Prename that you should consider using CMake for
> creating your VisualStudio project.  After seeing the same problems
> reportet on the mailing like multiple times, I do not think that this
> will make a difference--but the important point is that it is much
> easier to understand the steps involved in building your project and
> to eliminate some possibilities that might be a result of an
> unconventional build setup.
>
> Here is a sample "CMakeLists.txt" file that should be sufficient for
> creating a VS8 Solution for your sample program (I called it
> "markus-test.cc") using CMake:
>
> [this is actually a stripped-down version of
> "Examples/Medical/Cxx/CMakeLists.txt"]
> ----BEGIN----
> PROJECT (markus-test)
>
> FIND_PACKAGE(VTK REQUIRED)
> IF(NOT VTK_USE_RENDERING)
>  MESSAGE(FATAL_ERROR "Example ${PROJECT_NAME} requires VTK_USE_RENDERING.")
> ENDIF(NOT VTK_USE_RENDERING)
> INCLUDE(${VTK_USE_FILE})
>
> ADD_EXECUTABLE(markus-test markus-test.cc)
>
> TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(markus-test vtkRendering)
> ----END----
>
> Just put this and "markus-test.cc" into the same directory, create a
> build directory somewhere and use CMakeSetup.exe to create a VS8
> Solution file.  In the interactive configuratio process, you will need
> [...]
Sorry guys
I'm tired to run it again and again. Is somewhere a tutorial or something else
where I can go through step by step (downloading what installing where what to
build wehre to copy and everything in detail) and not only telling me the half.
in the last 3 days I've installed Cmake and VTK deinstalled everything.
installed again and so one and nothing helped.
Why should I use CMAKE to complie when I have Visual Studio where I create my
projects? If I can use vtk only with Cmake I know why I've never heard before
of it.