[vtkusers] Please advice! Multiple Actors, Mappers, for each polygon in a mesh

Markus Ringlander makkan at gmail.com
Tue May 30 09:54:49 EDT 2006

Hi, I sent a post to the mailinglist some days ago, but no answer, so
I will try one more time to hopefully get some information about my
wonderings. I will try to make it clearer.

What I want to do is to texture each polygon in an unstructured grid
with a unique texture. So I cannot have a "big texture" I want to map
onto my whole grid, and I cannot combine all my textures or tile them
together into a big one. So in this case I believe I need to set up as
many vtkActors as I have polygons, in order to be able to texture them
separately.

I have scanned the mailing list here, and a few people have
encountered the same kind of problem, with how to use "multiple
actors".

If I read my unstructured grid from a file, I will get the dataset
representing the grid. Can I use only one DataSetMapper, but still set
up one actor for each polygon in the grid? Or do I need to set up a
mapper and actor for each polygon?

In the latter case I probably need a reader who has multiple outputs,
a dataset for each polygon. Does such a reader exist? In the first
case, I need to set up an actor for each polygon given only one
dataset. In either case, I do not know how to do it. I also want to
preserve the connectivity information of all cells and points the
grid.

I am waiting for the VTK User's guide to arrive, but if it doesn't
contain any examples of this, where can I get help? I am supposed to
build my thesis on this, so it is very important to know how I should
approach this problem.

Please advice if you have any information.

Thanks,

/Mark