[vtkusers] VTK 5.0 w/ Tcl on OS X 10.4.6

Marty Humperdink martyh_camel93 at yahoo.com
Mon May 29 16:41:15 EDT 2006

Hello, all.

I think I'm making a silly mistake but am frustrated
and need to make progress on a project so am hoping
someone can point me in the right direction to solve
an installation problem.

I'm trying to get VTK 5.0 with Tcl support running on
a new MacBook Pro and am stumped. The other day I did
get it working and was succesfully running my
previously written VTK/Tcl scripts. Then later on that
night I got home, started up my machine, and tried to
run the programs again and was met with:

-bash: vtk: command not found

I had made an out-of-source build in a directory I
called VTKbin and was in the directory called
\VTKbin\bin. There is a Unix exectuable in this folder
called vtk and, as I already said, earlier in the day
I had been able to run my Tcl VTK programs from this
directory by typing, for example, vtk
MartysProgram.tcl

My suspicion is that I have made an embarrassingly
simple oversight. As you have likely guessed, I'm very
new to Mac OS. I have been using VTK/Tcl under Windows
for about a year so have familiarity with CMake, etc.
I recently changed jobs and was given a Mac and a data
analysis project to take over. I want to use VTK to
create visualizations for this project but am not a
developer nor do I have a Unix background. In short,
I'm hoping to find the shortest path to make use of my
previously written VTK/Tcl stuff on this Mac.

Here's what I did when I thought I was successful:

download and install CMake
download and install Tcl/Tk (I did get v8.4.13 since
it seemed easiest for a Mac newbie to handle but then
later realized reading mailing list archives that an
earlier version might have been a better choice)
download and unarchive VTK source (vtk 5.0, not cvs)

created VTKbin directory for out of source build, then
ran in it
ccmake -i \Users\Marty\Documents\VTK
then I turned on Cocoa, Wrap Tcl, etc
once Cmake was done I just ran make

Again, it DID work initially then later on  did not. I
can't recall anything specific that I did in the
intervening that would cause things to not work. There
is an executable called vtk where I expect it and I am
trying to run from this directory.

If someone could help with some basic tips I would be
forever grateful. I'm not familiar with many
Unix/Darwin basics so, if possible, explicit tips
would be appreciated.

many thanks