[vtkusers] Invalid index for GetWindowLongPtr in vtkWin32RenderWindowInteractor ? (x64)

John Platt jcplatt at dsl.pipex.com
Sat May 13 18:39:04 EDT 2006

Hi Thomas,

Have you looked at the recent post
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2006-May/085193.html?

John

-----Original Message-----
From: vtkusers-bounces+jcplatt=dsl.pipex.com at vtk.org
[mailto:vtkusers-bounces+jcplatt=dsl.pipex.com at vtk.org] On Behalf Of
Thomas Lambertz
Sent: 13 May 2006 14:08
To: vtkusers at vtk.org
Subject: [vtkusers] Invalid index for GetWindowLongPtr in
vtkWin32RenderWindowInteractor ? (x64)

Hello,

i tried to find a way to make vtkRenderWindowInteractor work under
Windows x64. To be honest - i am not very familiar with the Windows API
- so if i am talking rubbish please be patient...

I tried to isolate why there is no render-output when i used
vtkWindowRenderInteractor under x64. A good example are the tutorials in

vtk/Example/Tutorial. Step 1-4 are working properly as the render
"manually" - step 5-6 have changed to vtkWindowRenderInteractor and
doesnt work.
Adding some debug-output i saw that the Render() method wasnt invoked -
so no surprise that there is only a black Windows ;-)

Searching in vtkWin32RenderWindowInteractor and
vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow i found Code like this:
vtkGetWindowLong(hWnd,4);
The returned Pointer/Handle is NULL and GetLastError() gives an Error
1413 which means invalid index. As i understand "4" ist the wrong
parameter. Excerpt from Winuser.h:
/*
 * Window field offsets for GetWindowLong()
 */
#define GWLP_WNDPROC        (-4)
#define GWLP_HINSTANCE      (-6)
#define GWLP_HWNDPARENT     (-8)
#define GWLP_USERDATA       (-21)
#define GWLP_ID             (-12)

I assumed GWLP_WNDPROC was intended and i changed the Code in that way.
But that is not the solution - now i get this errormessage:

ERROR: In ..\..\vtk5.0_64\Rendering\vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line
809
vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow (0000000000366F40): Could not create window,
error:  0

And consistently there is no output-window...

Sorry for making a such great hullabaloo. I hope that someone else can
grab this information to become more succesful to solve this problem.

kind regards,
Tom

PS: Under win32 the correspondent GWL_WINPROC is also defined as (-4) -
but this does not seemes to make Problems (i havent investigate this
further)