[vtkusers] MPI Offscreen Volume Rendering

Kevin H. Hobbs kevin.hobbs.1 at ohiou.edu
Sat May 13 15:52:37 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 23:00 +0200, John Biddiscombe wrote:
> I'm not sure it's really the answer. Although I didn't say anything
> wrong, I was in a hurry and hadn't apprecaited from reading your
> message fully that you are volume rendering unstructued grids (as
> opposed to imagedata). The trouble is that when you read "pieces" from
> a file, you will end up with chunks "randomly arranged" in space and
> rendering each chunk on a separate node will give you compositing
> nightmares because of the depth sorting issue. In this case perhaps
> Distributed Data Filter will help you (it's not one I've used directly
> so won't comment)

Well since I was loading the whole dataset on each node, there were as
many copies of the data as there were nodes, the distributed data filter
just redistributed the copies. I think that this contributed some to my
confusion with how the composite renderer worked. Reading part of the
data, and then redistributing it makes more sense.