[vtkusers] Installing VTK 5.0 on Mac OSX 10.4.6

Mike Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Thu May 11 16:06:38 EDT 2006

On 5/11/06, Siddartha Krishnan <sidd.krish at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I relatively new to Mac OSX and am having trouble setting up VTK 5.0
> on OSX 10.4.6. I used cmake to build vtk and it did so without any
> errors, but cannot seem to run the sample code on the vtk.org site.
> I get the following errors:
>  <snip>
> export VTKBUILD=/Develop/VTKBuild
> export VTKSOURCE=/Develop/VTK
> export TCLLIBPATH=${VTKSOURCE}/Wrapping/Tcl:
> export PYTHONPATH=${VTKSOURCE}/Wrapping/Python:${VTKBUILD}
> export DYLD_LIBRARYN32_PATH=${VTKBUILD}
> alias vtk ${VTKBUILD}/bin/vtk
>
> but whenever I try to source .profile, the following errors occur:
> -bash: alias: vtk: not found
> -bash: alias: /Develop/VTKBuild/bin/vtk: not found
>
> These files do exist.
>
> I would appreciate any help I can get.
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Sidd

I also run bash as my shell but I make an alias like the following:

alias vtk='${VTKBUILD}/bin/vtk'

Are you trying to compile from the command line or in Xcode? If you
are in Xcode you will probably have to set the Header Search Paths to
find the VTK Headers.

If you do a "make install" for VTK, I think that is where it will dump
all the headers in /usr/local/include/vtk-5.0

If you want to contiue to use cmake from the command line it does work
pretty good on OS X, assuming you do NOT need to build for multiple
Architectures.
--
Mike Jackson
imikejackson _at_ gee-mail dot com