[vtkusers] vtkImageActor in multiple renderwindows (Was: Confused about vtkLookupTable)

Mark Gooding mark.gooding at gmail.com
Wed May 10 11:38:16 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I was having a problem getting image planes to render properly after
switching pipelines from:
vtkScalarArray->vtkStructuredPoints -> vtkImageDataGeometryFilter ->
vtkPolyDataMapper -> vtkActor
to:
vtkScalarArray->vtkStructuredPoints -> vtkImageMapToColors -> vtkImageActor

This has sort of resolved itself when I made some other changes (using
vtkUnsignedCharArray->SetArray rather than copying each element, and
using vtkUnsignedCharArray rather than vtkFloatArray as the original
data). Don't quite understand why, but the 3D rendering is working
now!

However, I am reusing the resulting actors in multiple renderwindows.
This worked when using vtkActor, and turning immediateModeRendering on
for the mapper. Now that I am using vtkImageActor, the second plane
doesn't display properly. (screen shot at
> http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~gooding/vtkbizarre.html ). The current pipeline doesn't seem to offer any way to switch to immediateMode - what should I look at?

Should I do a DeepCopy of the actor and then render different, but
identical, actors in each window? Or is there something else?

Cheers,

Mark