[vtkusers] Building VTK 4.2 on Mac OS X 10.4.x

Andres Munarriz munarriz.a at gmail.com
Wed May 10 09:18:12 EDT 2006

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your prompt replies, I have a project developed using
VTK 4.2 on a windows box which I'm gong to contnue, thus for legacy
reasons I wanted to use the same release.  Then again I find that you
agree that VTK 5.0 is the way to go. So I guess I'll simply migrate
the project to the new release.  Once again thank you for your
response.

Regards,
Andres E. Munarriz Soto

On 5/9/06, Mike Jackson <imikejackson at gmail.com> wrote:
> If at all possible, can you use VTK 5.0 stable? This builds with out
> any problems on OS X 10.4.x. If you have to use VTK 4.4 for legacy
> reasons then you will need to look back in the mail list archives for
> the solution. I vaguely remember it involved lots of search and
> replace for that method.
>

> --------
> Mike Jackson
> imikejackson <at> gmail <dot> com
>

> On May 9, 2006, at 10:32 PM, Andres Munarriz wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I've been trying to build VTK 4.2 and VTK 4.4.2 on my Mac running Mac
> > OS X 10.4 (tiger) but haven't been able to.
> >
> > CMake runs smoothly but when I run make (if I enable the
> > BUILD_SHARED_LIB option) I get the following error:
> >
> > Linking CXX shared library ../bin/libvtkCommon.dylib
> > ld: Undefined symbols:
> > __ZNSt8ios_base4InitC4Ev
> > /usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
> > make[2]: *** [bin/libvtkCommon.dylib] Error 1
> > make[1]: *** [Common/CMakeFiles/vtkCommon.dir/all] Error 2
> > make: *** [all] Error 2
> >
> > (if I don't build shared libs)
> >
> > Linking CXX executable ../../../bin/GraphicsCxxTests
> > /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
> > __ZNSt8ios_base4InitC4Ev
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > make[2]: *** [bin/GraphicsCxxTests] Error 1
> > make[1]: *** [Graphics/Testing/Cxx/CMakeFiles/GraphicsCxxTests.dir/
> > all] Error 2
> > make: *** [all] Error 2
> >

> > I found Matthew's response to a similar error but it regarded building
> > what seems to be a different version of VTK on Mac OS X 10.3.  Has
> > anyone been able to succesfully build either of these VTK releases on
> > a similar configuration?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > --
> > -æ- Andrés E. Munarriz Soto -æ-