[vtkusers] Using vtk for array storage. Is it significantly slower?

Mark Gooding mark.gooding at gmail.com
Wed May 3 09:55:02 EDT 2006

Hello,

All my data processing and visualisation is done using C++. Until now
I have been storing data as arrays of unsigned chars and working using
these in my data processing. For visualisation I have then copied
these to a vtkUnsignedCharArray and used that within my pipeline.
However, this approach means that I end up storing two copies of my
data and often spend a little time copying changes across.

I have been thinking about changing what I do so that only the
vtkUnsignedCharArray is used for storage and then accessing the data
using GetValue/SetValue. Is this a sensible approach or will it be
significantly slower? Are there any other factors I should consider?

Cheers,

Mark

p.s.I'm still having a problem with displaying image planes using
vtkImageMapToColors. Help on that would also be appreciated. See
http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~gooding/vtkbizarre.html for more details
of that problem.