[vtkusers] Computing 3D surface from grid of normals

Tim van Dijk tvdijk at piwebs.com
Mon May 1 08:51:48 EDT 2006

Hi,

I'm working on a program that can generate 3D surfaces from a series
of 2D photos taken of an object.
I'm now at a stage where I have a grid of points, corresponding to the
pixels in the photos, and for each pixel (point) I know the
corresponding surface normal.
I have visualised this data using VTK, using the Hedgehog filter on a
grid, and the normals are correct. Now I have to use this data to move
the points in the grid such that the result is a 3D surface with the
given normals.
Does anybody have any ideas on how to do this? I was thinking that
there might be some functionality in VTK that can help me with this,
but I'm pretty new to it. If not, any pointers on where to find
information on how to do this is very welcome.

Thanks,

Tim van Dijk