[vtkusers] VTK and GUI - vtkRenderWindow - Virtual or Physical?

Thomas Lambertz thomas at hexerei-software.de
Sat Mar 18 13:50:56 EST 2006

> Hi Experts,
>
> I have a question about vtkRenderWindow, and vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.
> Are such objects virtual, or have to be physical by setting the parent
> window ID?
>
> The requirement behind this question is here. Suppose an application
> must separate its window display and interaction from its internal
> code. The application needs to set a virtual vtkOpenGLRenderWindow
> with interactors that are also virtual, and binding them with a
> physical window whenever necessary. Simply put, make
> vtkOpenGLRenderWindow and the interactor purely ‘server’ objects to
> return bitmaps (or video streams?). These server objects are fully
> functional and independent of physical implementation. By doing this,
> the application never needs to get into vtk code to change files such
> as vtkMFCWindow.
>
> A real scenario for this. If this is possible, with a .Net wrapper,
> one can easily use Win Forms as render window.
>
> It would be tremendously helpful if the answer is YES, or can be YES.
> Your replies are highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Frank Gao

Hello Frank,

i am far away from being such an expert - but - maybe me tries are
helpful for you.

I splittet my application into two parts. GUI runs as a managed Win Form
and the numerical parts are done in a separate DLL which is native-x86.
And - to come closer to your question - yes - i have not found problems
at this time by letting VTK render into a Forms-Picturebox.

I know that VS 2003/2005 can handle managed / unmanaged Code in the same
executable but i didnt tried this way ( splitting has some advantages
for me ).

Hope this helps,
Tom