[vtkusers] Best Visualization Strategy

Andrea Gavana andrea.gavana at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 09:59:44 EST 2006

Hello NG,

    I have used VTK for a while in the past, and I am re-starting now :-)
Basically, I have a 3D grid in which all the cell corners coordinates are
specified (xyz for every corners => 24 coordinates per cell, every cell is
an irregular parallelepiped). This kind of grid is usually called "Corner
Point" in our field. 2 adiacent cells may or may not be connected, so for
this reason all the corner coordinates are specified.
What I would like to ask is:

1) Once I have loaded all the coordinates in an array (I am using Python,
but it doesn't matter), which is the most appropriate function/method to
visualize this kind of grid?
2) Is there a particular way in which I should reshape the coordinates array
(1D, 2D, 3D matrices) in order to speed up the loading/rendering?
3) During the visualization of the grid, most of the cells will be hidden
because covered by other cell in front. Is there something I can do to speed
up the visualization by somewhat "telling" to VTK that those cells are
hidden or is VTK itself that takes care of this?

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions.

Andrea.

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/infinity77/