[vtkusers] VolumePro support in VTK 5.0.0

Kent Ogden OgdenK at upstate.edu
Fri Mar 10 11:21:12 EST 2006

Lisa,

Thanks for the response.  I will use v4.4.2 for my project, if I can get
the VolumePro classes to compile.

I still have an issue when adding the volumepro support, even in 4.4.2.  I
get a large number of ambiguous symbol errors (see earlier post below),
apparantly related to the namespace vli3 that is defined in
vtkVolumeProMapper.h.  This is particularly frustrating because during my
initial learning curve of using cmake and compiling vtk numerous times I'm
pretty sure I had a good compile without these errors.  I get them now,
though, on two different computers using the .Net 2003 compiler and with the
VC++6 compiler, so maybe I was dreaming the good compiles.  I am (obviously)
not a C++ guru and have little experience with namespaces, so looking at the
class header files and implementations has not revealed any obvious issues
to me.  Perhaps there is a compiler setting or something similar I am
missing?

Any thoughts, workarounds (even painful ones if doable) would be greatly
appreciated!

Kent

>>> Lisa Avila <lisa.avila at kitware.com> 3/9/2006 2:23:45 PM >>>

Hi Kent,

VTK does not support VolumePro in VTK 5.0 (those classes should have been
removed).

We have not been keeping up-to-date with the changes in vli and therefore
it is likely that the classes (as exist in the repository) will not work
with newer version of vli (although I suspect the changes are fairly
minimal).

Lisa

At 04:16 PM 2/22/2006, Kent Ogden wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am wondering about the status of Volume Pro support in version 5.  I
see
>that the VTK classes are still present, but the VolumePro support options
>were not included in the makefiles so the VTK_USE_VOLUMEPRO option is not
>available in Cmake.  With a little poking around in the 4.4.2 files I was
>able to insert the appropriate stuff to get the VP classes to be included
in
>the vtkVolumeRendering project (I am using VC++ in Visual Studio 2003 and
>XP).  During the compile there are several hundred errors of the
following
>flavor:
>
>c:\VTK\VolumePro\inc\vli.h(3082): error C2872: 'VLIContext' : ambiguous
>symbol
>         could be 'c:/VTK\VolumePro\inc\vli.h(1597) : VLIContext'
>         or       'c:\VTK\VolumeRendering\vtkVolumeProMapper.h(56) :
>vli3::VLIContext'
>
>c:\VTK\VolumePro\inc\vli.h(3641): error C2872: 'VLILookupTable' :
ambiguous