[vtkusers] vtk 5.0 install on ubuntu breezy

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Thu Mar 9 09:54:55 EST 2006

Fabian Braennstroem wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to create a vtk 5.0 deb package for ubuntu
> breezy. For this I start to compile it with my settings by
> hand. Unfortunately I get this error:
>
> Building CXX object Widgets/CMakeFiles/vtkWidgetsPythonD.dir/vtkWidgetsPythonInit.o
> Linking CXX shared library ../bin/libvtkWidgetsPythonD.so
> Scanning dependencies of target vtkWidgetsPython
> Building CXX object Widgets/CMakeFiles/vtkWidgetsPython.dir/vtkWidgetsPythonInit.o
> Linking CXX shared module ../bin/libvtkWidgetsPython.so
> Linking CXX shared library ../bin/libvtkWidgetsTCL.so
> Scanning dependencies of target vtk
> Building CXX object Wrapping/Tcl/CMakeFiles/vtk.dir/vtkTkAppInit.o
> Linking CXX executable ../../bin/vtk
> /home/fab/vtk-5.0/bin/libvtkRendering.so: undefined reference to `FTC_Manager_LookupFace'
> /home/fab/vtk-5.0/bin/libvtkRendering.so: undefined reference to `FTC_Manager_LookupSize'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [bin/vtk] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [Wrapping/Tcl/CMakeFiles/vtk.dir/all] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> Does anyone know, what I am missing?

You are trying to link against system freetype library, right ? At some
point they changed the API from

FTC_Manager_LookupFace into FTC_Manager_Lookup_Face

Two suggestions:
#1 Don't use system freetype, but instead use the one shipped with VTK
#2 If you really want system freetype, play with the file:
VTK/Utilities/vtk_freetype.h to rename symbols properly -only if you
know what you are doing-. With luck it might work, no garantee of course.

Mathieu