[vtkusers] Building vtk on HP-PARISC HPUX-11.11 64bit fails

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Thu Mar 9 08:48:08 EST 2006

Hi Burkhard,

Burkhard Neinhues wrote:

> Hi,
>
> building VTK on HPUX PARISC machines  has never worked so far without
> adjusting  Makefiles manually.
> However, now with version 5.0, the PARISC linker often fails to locate
> dependent libraries.
> This is NOT a problem with
> 1) libraries not being present
> 2) proper -L options not set
> 3) internal library names

I believe this problem should be raised on CMake ML, you can find it here:

Don't forget to mention the CMake version you are using (OS, compilers...).

> I noticed that VTK uses a lot of shared libraries and neglects that
> dependent libraries are automatically
> loaded by the dynamic linker if specified. Instead, during the VTK build
> each new shared library is linked with all the shared libraries
> compiled before even if this results in "double" linking the same
> libraries over and over again.
> This results also in multiply linking X11 libraries in, sometimes in the
> wrong order (and yes, the order is
> significant on HP PARISC).
> Example: Linking in with -lX11 -Xext may lead to unresolved symbol error
> messages when loading in Python
> vtk libraries. They can be fixed by reversing the order: -lXext -lX11

We are talking static libs here right ?
Instead of manually modifying Makefile, could you instead modify the file:

CMake/Modules/FindX11.cmake
(in the case of an installed cmake you'll find it in:
/usr/share/CMake/Modules/FindX11.cmake).
This way you can decide what is the proper order for you, then please
contribute the patch back, thanks.
Hint: look for the line:

     # Build the final list of libraries.
     SET (X11_LIBRARIES ${X11_X_PRE_LIBS} ${X11_LIBRARIES}
${X11_X_EXTRA_LIBS})

> There're less problems on Linux and also on HP Itanium 64 bit, but the
> Parisc linker is not
> able to resolve so many dependencies of mulitply linked-in shared
> libraries. This situation can be resolved
> by manually linking  shared libraries on the command line using copy and
> paste.
> This is cleary not the most convenient way to do this.
> Is there a better way?

CMake issue, should be raised in CMake ML, thanks.

> Cmake is also difficult to compile on HPs (missing symbols for curses)
> and must be manually tuned to allow
> 64 bit builds on HPs.

Could you send more details (exact output) to the CMake ML ?

Thanks,
Mathieu