[vtkusers] vtk: error while loading shared libraries

kdsfinger at gmail.com kdsfinger at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 20:11:53 EST 2006

hi, there

I just installed the vtk in my fc3 linux box and here is what I got when
type "vtk mace.tcl":

vtk: error while loading shared libraries: libvtkCommonTCL.so.5.0: cannot

I searched google for the problem and found the following:

Todd Schneider wrote:
>* Hey everyone, I am having a problem with my program loading the shared
*>* VTK libraries after compilation. I am running redhat 9. My code compiles
*>* fine, and works perfectly under windows, but when after I compile and
*>* run "a.out" in Linux I get the error
*>*
*>* error while loading shared libraries: libvtkCommon.so: cannot open
*>* shared object file: No such file or directory
*>*
*>* I have put all the VTK.so files into the same directory as the
*>* executable, as well as in /usr/local/bin, but still no luck- any help on
*>* getting this resolved would be great! Thanks again,
*>*
*
Shouldn't lib be in /use/local/lib makes more sense :))

Make sure also that this path is in either :
- /etc/ld.so.conf
- LD_LIBRARY_PATH

you can also run :
$/sbin/ldconfig -v -n /usr/local/lib

HTH
mathieu

I've put the /usr/local/lib in the /etc/ld.so.conf and I also did the

$/sbin/ldconfig -v -n /usr/local/lib

but still no luck. I checked the /usr/local/lib and
libvtkCommonTCL.so.5.0 is linked to libvtkCommonTCL.so.5.0.0 there.

Your kindly help is highly appreciated. Thanks ahead!

zl2k