[vtkusers] Bug in XML Image IO?

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Tue Jun 13 11:10:37 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 14:25 -0400, Kevin H. Hobbs wrote:
> Is it the intended behavior of the extent translator to duplicate the
> pixels along each split into the pieces on both sides of the split?
>
> I'm seeing piece extents that look like this:
> 	<Piece Extent="0 9 0 9 0 1">
> 	<Piece Extent="0 9 0 9 1 2">
> The pieces in slice 1 are in both piece 0 and piece 1.

Ah, I see that this is the difference between
vtkExtentTranslator::PieceToExtent and
vtkExtentTranslator::PieceToExtentByPoints . This difference is
documented only in a comment in the source.

There doesn't seem to be a way to choose which method to use in the
vtkXMLStructuredDataWriter. Does the vtkXMLStructuredDataWriter need
this overlap for some reason? It strikes me as wasteful.

I'm in the middle of using the vtkTableExtentTranslator to write a file
in ZSlab pieces without overlap and already the vtkXMLImageDataReader
does a much better job at reading the file. ( I've only written out half
of it so far ( slow ITK filter ) so failing there makes sense. )