[vtkusers] vtk44 ATI X1600 problems with textures over 2000 pixels

David.Pont at ensisjv.com David.Pont at ensisjv.com
Thu Jun 8 19:04:30 EDT 2006

"nikolaus heger" <nikolaus.heger at gmail.com> wrote on 08/06/2006 13:20:36:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem where textures over 2000 pixels show up as white
> rectangles on my computer.
>
> It seems to be isolated to ATI cards - I have an X1600 with 256M / 512M
RAM.

> Does anyone know if this affects all ATI cards, or can this be fixed
> with a new driver or with vtk 5.0?
>
> Demo code in [1] shows the problem.
>
> Thanks for any help or info!
>
> Nik
> [1]
> import Tkinter
> from Tkinter import *
> import math, os, sys
> from vtkpython import *
> import vtk
> from vtk.tk.vtkLoadPythonTkWidgets import vtkLoadPythonTkWidgets
> filename = "demo_lg.jpg" # 2300 pixel high image - displays as white
> rectangle on ATI cards.
> #filename = "demo.jpg" # 2000 pixel high image - TOTALLY FINE

I have experienced the white rectangle problem, on an ATI card too, but it
just seems to be a physical limitation on maximum texture size. In C++ I
used the following OpenGL call from inside my vtk app to find out the
maximum:

                                long maxDimGL;

glGetIntegerv(GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE,&maxDimGL);

I have no idea if you can access this in Tcl/Tk. I think there are OpenGL
testbench programs out there that may report this number, perhaps you could
look for one.
The bottom line is this looks to be a hardware limit, you would have to add
code to resample images down if they were larger than the reported limit on
a given machine.

  regards
    Dave P