[vtkusers] which file format has best texture map support

Chris Alvino alvinoc at uphs.upenn.edu
Thu Jun 1 14:29:53 EDT 2006

Hi,

I'm currently reading in a polygonal surface from a .wrl file (VRML format)
using vtkVRMLImporter.  I render it and then use the mapper to get the
corresponding polydata.  This works fine and I can save the polydata to a
file (currently I'm using .ply but I'm not picky).

In addition, the .wrl file has a texture map associated with it that is
extremely important to my application.  I wrote a parser that obtains the
texture coordinates and the texture image file name from this .wrl file.  I
have stored these texture coordinates in a vtkFloatArray and have I am able
to render the texture map on the surface correctly.

Now I want to take this polydata and texture map and save it to a file format
that has the best support for saving polydata and its corresponding texture
maps.  The Doxygen documentation doesn't have this information readily
available.  Which file format has the best support for what I want to do?

Thanks,
Chris

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.