[vtkusers] newbie question about medical image processing

Luca Pamparana deluded.soul at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 12:36:54 EDT 2006

Hi everyone,

A couple of very basic newbie questions. This is not specifically a VTK
question but a question about visualizing medical data, in general. I would
be really grateful if someone could help me.

I am having trouble with a couple of things:

- What exactly does an image reslicer (vtkImageReslice) do? I am guessing it
shifts the the image reference axes. I was wondering if anyone can tell me
how it does that...mathematically...

- This will sound very stupid but please bear with me...I was looking
through the INSIGHT tutorials and I have seen this with other viewers as
well. When you load an image data, it loads 3 views... basically the image
from (I guess) three different perspectives. How does it decide on this
perspective? Is it doing some reslicing or preprocessing????

This can be seen here:
http://www.itksnap.org/docs/viewtutorial.php?chapter=TutorialSectionLoadingImages

If you look at the display window in the bottom of the page...

I am really sorry if this sounds very basic but it would help me a lot if
someone can help me understand this...

Cheers,

Luca