[vtkusers] VTK and Visual studio 8

Obada Mahdi omahdi at gmx.de
Mon Jul 24 07:43:04 EDT 2006

Hi Walid!

Walid Saad wrote:
> I tried to build VTK with cmake 2.4 for visual studio 8 but I faced several errors and when I tried to build the project allbuild the build failed with this errors:
> fatal error C1189: #error :  "No native data type can represent an 8-bit integer."

Did you receive any error messages while running CMake?  The above error
often indicates that some CMake configuration tests have failed.

There is a problem with building on FAT32 filesystems using Visual
Studio 8, which can cause some tests to randomly fail.  Have a look at
the CMake bug tracker for more information:
http://www.cmake.org/Bug/bug.php?op=show&bugid=2617

If your VTK build directory actually resides on a FAT32 partition, the
easiest thing to try is to put it onto a NTFS partition instead.

HTH,

Obada