[vtkusers] Render() breaks interactor??!!

Joël Schaerer joel.schaerer at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Fri Jul 21 19:01:29 EDT 2006

Hi all,

It seems that calling the Render() method on a vtkRenderWindow before
starting an interactor on a the same window breaks the interactor. Here
is a minimal example:

---- begin code -----
#include <vtkRenderWindow.h>
#include <vtkRenderWindowInteractor.h>

int main()
{
	vtkRenderWindow * renwin = vtkRenderWindow::New();
	//renwin->Render();  /*If line is not commented, interactor doesn't
work!!! */
	vtkRenderWindowInteractor * i = vtkRenderWindowInteractor::New();
	i->SetRenderWindow(renwin);
	i->Start();
}
---- end code -----

without the call to Render(), the interactor works, ie. the 'q' key
works, for example. If I uncomment the line, the interactor doesn't work
at all.
Would somebody mind explaining me the reason of this problem? I'm using
vtk-4.5.0-0.cvs20040114.2 (creatis version), on a linux machine.

Many thanks!

joel