[vtkusers] Re: larger points

Cory Quammen cquammen at cs.unc.edu
Sun Jul 16 12:34:03 EDT 2006

> Hi
>
> I have used vtkPolyData to make a plot of a point cloud but having a
> poor eye sight I can hardly see the cloud. Is there any way of telling
> vtk to use larger points (cells).

Kamran,

You can set the point size property in the vtkActor that represents your
point cloud. For example, say you have Java code that follows this outline:

vtkPolyData yourData;
vtkPolyDataMapper mapper = new vtkPolyDataMapper();
mapper.SetInput(yourData);

vtkActor actor = new vtkActor();
actor.SetMapper(mapper);

You then get the properties from the actor and call the SetPointSize()
method like this:

// Now set the point size
vtkProperty property = actor.GetProperty();
float desiredPointSize = 5.0;
property.SetPointSize(desiredPointSize);

I think you'll also need to set the representation of the poly data to
points, but you may not need to do this explicitly:

property.SetRepresentationToPoints();

Hope this helps,
Cory

--