[vtkusers] Efficient handling of large image data

Roger Blum roger_blum at swissonline.ch
Sun Jul 9 23:52:31 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I have an application to display geographic maps. The maps consist of tiff
files (9200 x 4800 pixels each). A map is typically built from 10 to 20 of
these tiff files. In addition I have elevation data (image data) for each
tiff file which I use to create a 3D landscape by mapping the tiff files on
the elevation model.

Is it possible to combine the tiff files and/or the elevation data to one
large image so I can e.g. extract a profile along a line or extract a region
of interest without having to take care of borders?

Is there a specific way to efficiently handle this large amount of image
data?

Can I load the files "in the background" with vtk, so the user can still
interact with the GUI (I am using vtk 5.0 with tcl)?

Thanks for any hint to improve my application,

Roger