[vtkusers] Re: vtk starkit

Goodwin Lawlor goodwin.lawlor at ucd.ie
Wed Jul 5 17:51:11 EDT 2006

Elizabeth Nitao wrote:
> Hi all,
> Is there a VTK starkit for Linux that can be used in conjunction with
> tclkit?  I noticed there was one for Windows
> (http://www.bioengineering-research.com/vtk/vtkit.htm).

Hi Elizabeth,

VTKit is just compiled on windows at the moment :-(

One option you have though is to compile "stubs enabled" shared VTK
libraries on your linux box, which a vanilla tclkit will load. I put up
a very brief how-to wiki page here http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_Tcl_Stubs
a while ago. I'd imagine that the CmakeLists have changed a good deal
since then though. You'll get an idea from the patches what you need to do.

The down side to stubs enabled shared libs (compared to linking in
static libraries into the executable, like VTKit) is you have to be
careful to copy out dependent libs from your starkit to disk so they can
be found when needed.

Alternatively, just have all your shared libs in some known place on
disk - but this takes away a lot of the beauty of starkits in the first
place.

hth

Goodwin