[vtkusers] Building VTK on Mac OS X without using framework

Theodore Sternberg tdsternberg at lbl.gov
Tue Jan 31 19:26:19 EST 2006

I'd like to build VTK without using superuser privileges.  That is, I'd
like to build VTK against Tcl, Tk and Python that I've built and installed
as an ordinary user -- no "configure -framework" and "make
frameworkinstall".

Has anyone ever done such an installation, successfully?  I'm having a lot
of trouble.  For starters, ccmake generates a CMakeCache.txt that has some
of the Tcl-related paths going to the Tcl I've built and others going to
the system's Tcl down in /usr.  Ditto for Python.

Compilation proceeds normally in the various VTK directories (Common,
Graphics, Rendering...) but then fails at the link stage, unless I
manually put "-ltcl -ltk -lX11" on the link line.

The showstopper comes a while later, when building the vtkTkRenderWidget,
with a conflict between how X.h and Quickdraw.h define "Cursor".

I've built VTK before, and successfully, against Tcl, Tk and Python
installed under "framework".  The goal now is to build VTK without
recourse to superuser privileges.

Ted Sternberg
Lawrence Berkeley Lab