[vtkusers] Incompatible libpng version in application and library

Martin Baumann mailsgetlost at web.de
Sun Jan 29 14:32:38 EST 2006

Hi,

I am using VTK-4.2 and QT4.
When I try to create a *.png image file I get the following error:

  libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.0.12
  libpng warning: Application  is  running with png.c from libpng-1.2.8
  libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library
  ERROR: In /home/martin/local/src/vtk/vtk-4.2/IO/vtkPNGWriter.cxx, line 156
  vtkPNGWriter (0x82953c8): Unable to write PNG file!

It seems as if VTK-4.2 comes with libpng-1.0.12 by default on my system
I use libpng-1.2.8.
I tried to disable the use of libpng-1.0.12 when I configured VTK. I did
the following:

I did the following:

changed to CMake advanced mode

  VTK_USE_RENDERING    ON

  PNG-LIBRARY          /usr/lib/libpng.so    (-> libpng.so.3 ->
libpng.so.3.1.2.8)
  PNG_PNG_INCLUDE_DIR  /usr/include          (this contains a file png.h
version 3.1.2.8)

To me this seems ok.

After make and make install I see that the file png.h is no more in the
./includes/vtk directory.
Also libvtkpng.so is no more in ./lib/vtk directory. So far this seems ok.

But somehow this didn't help! I still get the same error. Even after a
make clean and make distclean
and make my program. I can't understand why...

Any idea?

Thanks, MB